Thursday, April 12, 2012

Easy Bread Recipes White Bread

Easy Bread Recipes is a way for me to share my love of baking with other people.  I have also been informed by my family that I don't bake enough any more, so I decided to start a blog for Easy Bread Recipes.  This way I wouldn't have a choice about doing more baking because I would have to test out new recipes.  Its a win-win situation because I am doing two things I love to do, writing and baking, and my family gets the fresh baked goodness they desire.

If your family is like mine, anything you bake fresh doesn't last very long.  When I started baking bread a couple years ago, I was having to bake 6-8 loaves a week, and we were still running out of bread.  Granted having 4 kids doesn't help my situation, but what I found was that as soon as the bread was cut my kids were devouring it. 

Making fresh bread does take a little time, but its something you can do while watching your shows in the evening or relaxing around the house on a weekend.  In the end though, it is worth it!

Below you will find my favorite white bread recipe.  This is a great recipe for a couple reasons. 

First, it is easy, which is what we are looking for.

Second, it is milk free which is great for those families that have milk allergies.

This recipe makes 2 loaves of bread. 

Ingredients:
Water--2 cups of warm water(approx 110-120 degrees Fahrenheit)*
Sugar--2/3 cup
Salt--1 1/2 teaspoon
Oil--2 tablespoons
Flour--6 cups
Yeast--2 tablespoons

*Hint--To determine the right temperature of water, I hold my finger under the running water until it just starts to turn from warm to hot.

Steps
1)  Place 1 cup of water in a large bowl.  Add the yeast and oil.  Mix with a wire whisk and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes. (The yeast should start to foam)

I also like to preheat the oven to 350 degrees at this point, because I set the bowl, and pans, on the oven during the rise steps.

2)  Add the other 1 cup of water, sugar, and salt.  Mix well.

3)  Add 4 cups of flour.  Mix thoroughly.  (If you are using a mixer, I suggest using the paddle attachment)  The dough should still be pretty moist at this point. 

4)  This is where it gets a little messy.  I have found that adding the rest of the flour is best done using your hands, rather than using a mixer or spoon.  Add 1/4-1/2 cup at a time just until the dough can be formed into a ball.

5)  Now its time to knead the bread.  This can be done in 2 ways. 

If you are going to be using the same bowl for the dough to rise, I recommend using a light floured surface to knead the dough.  Just sprinkle some flour on the counter, or other surface, and put the dough ball on the surface.  You will want to clean the bowl out before you place the dough back in it to rise.

If you are are using a separate bowl for the dough to rise, then you can choose to knead the dough in the bowl and save having to clean your counter.

With either method, sprinkle some flour on the dough and your hands.  Begin kneading by pushing the palm of your hand into the middle of the dough and push away from you.  Fold the dough back over on top of itself and repeat.  After doing this 3-4 times, turn the dough a quarter turn and repeat.  Every couple turns you will want to flip the dough over and continue. 

If the dough feels sticky as you are kneading, sprinkle a little more flour on and continue kneading.

You will knead the dough for about 6-8 minutes or until it gets an elastic texture.

6)  Place the dough in an oiled bowl (make sure the entire inside of the bowl has been oiled).  Brush oil on the top and sides of the dough, cover and place in a warm place.  Allow the dough to rise for about an hour, or until doubled.

7)  Punch down the dough.  (Just make a fist and push it down into the middle of the dough.) 

8)  Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces and place each one in an oiled bread pan and form the loaf.  Cover again and let rise in a warm place for 45-60 minutes, or until doubled.

9)  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  You can tell if its done if it sounds hollow when tapping the top of the loaf.

10) Remove from the oven and let it sit for about 5 minutes.  Then remove the bread from the pan and place it on a wire rack to cool.  At this point, I like to take a stick of butter and rub it on the top of the bread.  It helps to keep the crust soft, and gives the butter flavor.  You could also brush it with oil for the same effect.

Enjoy, and God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment